Friday, April 20, 2007

spot doco, website

local videographer phil lee is in the process of putting together a dvd documentary, deconstructing spot, about the band spot's recent 10th anniversary reunion show at the wreck room. he also has a website devoted to the band -- what reggie and chad rueffer did before the hochimen. phil writes:

I got involved in all this totally out of a love of their music, starting with Mildred [the Rueffer brothers' early-'90s band] and continuing with Spot. I lost track of them for the last 10 years and then recently I dug out an old documentary I created back in 1991 about Deep Ellum [in which] Mildred makes a brief appearance. I put it up on Youtube and it got me thinking again about whatever became of those boys, so I started doing some online research, finally hooked up with Reggie just in time to see that Wreck room show.

I came away that night thinking, "How in the hell did this not make it?" There is so much inferior stuff on the radio, so many bands with far less talent that have been successful. I assumed they never made it out of Dallas. With more online research, I discovered that they indeed toured and played before large crowds, and received far more airplay than I ever imagined, so the mystery grew more confusing. Once I found out more, I could no longer sit on my hands; their story must be told! Surely there are fans scattered across the country that still care about the band.

The reality is that I am just not ready for Spot to die! Maybe I am dreaming, but I would at least like to try and reach other people out there that are still interested in this music. I can listen to those tunes now (as I often do) and the music holds up to this day. My 18 year old son loves it -- he was at the Wreck Room show as well, and came away as impressed as I was, so I know their time has not passed in this world.


sounds good to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home