Thursday, April 12, 2007

r.i.p. kurt vonnegut

sad to hear kurt vonnegut, jr. left the planet yesterday, aged 84. hard to believe he only wrote 14 novels. can't think of a writer who did more to form my worldview when i was a snotnose. if you haven't, by all means read slaughterhouse-five, cat's cradle, welcome to the monkey house, god bless you, mr. rosewater (from whence comes the passage below), and so on.

“Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’ ”

1 Comments:

Blogger Tammy Gomez said...

he's not dead to me. just in another form now. i own almost his stuff, but haven't read it all. some things , i regret, are gonna have to wait 'til i retire.........

can you believe: "Harrison Bergeron" was in one of my grade school textbooks---6th or 7th grade. that story blew out my brains and made all kinds of fresh new space up in my head. wow, to think of it......the impact of a few pages of words....

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home