Monday, March 26, 2007

Barber Mack's "Revolver" Show - Wreck Room, 5.3.2007

John Shook of Barber Mack recently took time off from rehearsals for his band's upcoming Beatles Revolver show (they're playing the whole album, front to back, with a revolving cast of vocalists and a horn section) to answer some dumb-ass questions.

Q: What's the date of the show?

JS: May 3rd -- good to go.

Q: Who have you got on board, musician-wise?

JS: Singers so far -- James Norris, Justin Pate, Joe Vano, Matt Henderson, Scott Griffin, Chuck Brown, Carey Wolfe, Lee Allen, Ray Liberio, Justin "Beef" from Villain Vanguard. Still waiting to hear from Tony Diaz. James said he talked to Chance from the Burning Hotels but he hasn't confirmed a tune yet.

The core group is Ron Geida and Andrew Skates on guitars, Lucas White on drums, and James Norris on keys. We'll have a guest horn section as well as percussion. There will be a few other guest musicians but that can be a surprise. Natty Patty and DJ Marcosis will spin before and after.

Q: Why Revolver? And why now?

JS: I wanted to do a show at the Wreck before they close. I had to do it with Barber Mack 'cos that's pretty much my project/fun band. Since we haven't played a gig since Soundclash last November, I figured it was OK to try something in a different direction. So I've been brainstorming for a while, ways to do more of a concept show, if you will, where the focus is the program of music and it's delivery rather the traditional rock show with 3 or 4 bands on the bill and each one gets an hour to do their thing.

Plus, since I've been doing the Top Secret band with Marcus Lawyer, I've been digging the whole community thing: Players working together to put on a show outside of their regular playing styles and without the confines of being in the "next big Rock band."

Honestly, I picked the Beatles mainly because everybody likes the Beatles and that makes it easier to attract all kinds of folks to come see the show. This being my first attempt at "directing," if you wanna call it that, I wanted to choose music that was already written and familiar to me and any audience. Also, Beatles tunes fit well with my idea to feature different singers. I picked Revolver because that is my favorite Beatles album. And I'm the boss!

Hopefully, I'll have my posters by the beginning of April. I'm gonna try to promote the hell out this thing. So if I want to do my own shows again, I'll have this show (knock on wood) to prove that I can make it happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home