Wednesday, December 22, 2004

The Dave Karnes Record Game

OK, just one more. Karnage has a game he likes to play: "Name three records that you like all the way through." Of course, being a greedy bastard, I'll take 10 (in no particular order):

1. Van Morrison, Astral Weeks -- The record I used to give to all the women I even remotely liked. I think I've bought my last copy.
2. A Tribe Called Quest, Midnight Marauders -- My first experience of hip-hop as jazz. Thank you, Derek Lewis.
3. Elvis Presley, The Sun Sessions CD -- After a lifetime of dissing Elvis as a grotesque joke, I got into this when I was bedridden for a few days about 10 years ago. Maybe the NyQuil helped? The original punk rock.
4. The Sundays, reading, writing and arithmetic -- Harriet Wheeler's voice will forever remind me of driving from Fort Worth to Shreveport once a month between 1992-97.
5. Simon and Garfunkel, Bookends -- I'm no longer ashamed that this was the first album I ever owned. Sad bastard music never sounded so inviting.
6. The Who Sell Out -- I got this (for $1.99) the summer I turned 13 and played it four times a day until my Sound of Music-loving sister threatened to break it. Then Live At Leeds came out.
7. Captain Beefheart, Doc At the Radar Station -- If you buy into Lester Bangs' thesis that what most of Don Van Vliet's music lacked was heart, well, this has more heart than the rest of his oeuvre put together.
8. French Frith Kaiser Thompson, Live Love Larf & Loaf -- A little avant-gardism, a little humor, and a lot of Richard Thompson's gtr w/Beefheart's drummer.
9. Bobby Bland, Two Steps from the Blues -- Everybody needs this, regardless of how they feel about "the blooze."
10. Charles Mingus, The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady -- The auditory equivalent of reading Mingus' book Beneath the Underdog. The planet wasn't big enough to contain him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home